So what are some of the boundaries I have set for myself? I have two lists. One are things that I will share openly. Some things do not take much thought, but others I pray about. The second list are things that I absolutely will not share. Here are some boundaries that I have set for myself:
Things to share:
- Trials about ME and how God is walking me through them. Life is messy. I don't have it all together, it isn't all puppies and butterflies and I feel called to be open about some of these things. If I can encourage you with my own struggles, it is worth the risk of being open.
- Funny stories that will brighten someone's day (please note that I keep from sharing too much about my teenagers. They don't appreciate it and I respect that).
- Inspiring blogs, posts, videos, etc that make me smile, cry (good tears) or share something I believe in strongly.
- Pictures that I have permission to share (mostly of family)
- Posts of the silly things I do. I am all about laughing at oneself and if another can find that they relate and find humor in it, I'm all about it!
- Prayer requests that I have permission to share openly.
- Things that God is teaching me.
Things I do not share:
- Anything at all when I am angry. This is huge. Anger can cause you to say things you normally would not. If it isn't uplifting or encouraging or insighting some sort of change, I will not post it. Walk away. Nothing good will ever come of it.
- I limit things I post regarding gatherings with friends. Ladies, women are sensitive. Call it weakness, insecurity or just that they feel deeply, but I know that other's feelings get hurt when they feel left out. So if I am meeting with a group, I generally try not to post those things. Whether it is their "issue" or not, out of love and care for them I choose to be loving.
- Those Jesus "chain letter" type of things. I'm pretty sure my salvation isn't based on me forwarding something about Jesus. I love Him. He knows that. I have chosen to follow Him. He knows that.
- Personal trials that I do not have permission to share. I keep my marriage pretty private (other than that I love my man) and try not post what goes on daily between us. For the record, my husband, my marriage, my kids and my life are not perfect. Out of respect for others I try not to share anything that would be hurtful to them. This isn't to put on a front, but to protect those closest to me.
Do I screw up? Absolutely. But the older I get, the more thought I put into what I put out there. My goal has always been and will always be to encourage others in their walk in life and in their walk with God. I encourage you to think through your own list and try to hold yourself to it. It will cause you to pause and think before you put something out there. Live life out lout. But set your own boundaries and stick to them.